Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Eureka Canceled by SyFy

It's sad that I have to make this blog. As of today, Aug. 9th, 2011, Eureka has been canceled by SyFy (you can read the official press release here). This isn't going to be a rant about how disappointed or angry I am with the network; I'm simply done with them after Eureka finishes. Instead, I'm going to write about how much the show meant to me and why it was so important to TV. Anyone who wants to tell me that it's just another TV series, don't bother; you're wrong.

First and foremost, we are entering an era with very little current science fiction programming. Sure, Doctor Who is on the rise, but so many others are on the decline. While I don't mind shows grounded in fantasy or the paranormal, it's not the same thing. I don't know what niche I'm in. But if there is a niche for the lovers of science who crave works that depict a world which they'll never get to live in, I'm in that.

I'm probably not like you. But if I am, I want to know you! Upon entering my room, you'll find a giant 46" X 23" poster of Albert Einstein with THINK written across it. You'll also find stacks of books on everything from theoretical physics to Leonard Nimoy's I am Spock. My closest: a mess of breadboards, electronics tools, servos, gears, old issues of Discover Magazine, and even more science books with a broken microscope as their stopper.

To some of us, this world is such a "fascinating" place. And there is this thirst for knowledge that no matter what you're doing, what your IQ is, or how much you already know, you can never really quench. It's this innate desire to constantly be more than you are. And the more you learn, the more connected you feel to the universe. Society, however, doesn't match. This mentality isn't valued among the world majority who depend on technology that's advent wouldn't occur without it.

Eureka put our dreams on the screen. When Eureka aired, I felt like I was home. I wanted to live there. I know: if such a place existed, I'd be last in line with many people before me. But I'd be happy getting a Ph.D. in Astrophysics just to be a janitor there! It wasn't like Star Trek because it wasn't in the future. Conceptually, a place like this could and should exist, right now! And for awhile, it did on our television sets (I know this season is still finishing up and we have season 5).

This is what science was really about: adventure, discovery, and fun! It showcased so many different characters and their esoteric fields. Even the towns main eatery (Café Diem) had a genius chef who could cook anything! Doing well academically and competing in intellectual "sports" weren't just for the fringe crowd at Eureka's high school, it was the most popular thing to do! Yeah, I remember the Sliders episode where that was the mentality of an entire dimension, and it turned intellectual pursuits into trivial pursuits. But still, I've competed in my school's "Quiz Bowl," and we didn't get any crowd compared to its losing football team. I'm not kidding; they once lost a game, like, 81 to 0 and still got all the accolades!

I knew Eureka was on borrowed time. It was too good to be true: Science fiction that was clever and fun. Science fiction that didn't rely only on basic relationship conflicts and sexual tension to have plot. Sure, it had some of that. After all, most of the characters were human beings. Come to think of it, there was even a relationship arch with the android deputy sheriff (Andy) and the house SARAH (Self Actuated Residential Automated Habitat)! It's not like they just made a show to appeal to one niche; it had something for everyone!

So, goodbye: Henry, Sheriff Carter, Jo, Fargo, Zane, Allison, Kevin, Zoe, Vincent, Andy, Dr. Parrish and even SARAH. And goodbye Eureka. I want to thank all the talented writers, crew, and cast who made this show so great. It was a lot of fun to watch and a privilege to be a fan. And I'm sure it inspired more than a few people to pick up a science book and dream big!

1 comment: